Friday, April 19, 2013

Escaping Reality, Writing, Belgium, & Eating Great Food

I write as an escape.  I travel vicariously through my characters, returning to places I've once been and want to see again.  For that matter, I eat vicariously through my characters too.  When I read the initial draft of my novel, "Destined Love is Immortal," for the first time, I was shocked to find that while I'd been dieting and getting in shape, I'd overfed the heroine of my novel.  I must have cut twenty meal scenes out of the book because she was always eating one elaborate meal or another.  Needless to say, I love a good meal.

There's a lot of me in my main character, Shawna.  She's uncertain of herself and extremely insecure, but she rises above these feelings to accomplish great things.  Even though she's afraid at many times, she finds the courage to do heroic things. 

"Destined Love is Immortal" takes place in Belgium, a beautiful little country I fell in love with when I lived and worked there for a summer years ago.  The Belgian people are extremely warm, welcoming, and generous.  I couldn't believe how much they went out of their way to make me feel welcome.

For those who don't like e-readers, a paperback version of "Destined Love is Immortal" is also available. 

No comments:

Post a Comment